Sunday, September 04, 2005

Helluva Week

Well, it's been a week hopefully never to be repeated in our lives. Hurricane Katrina, a category 5 storm, slammed New Orleans and the gulf coast of Mississippi on Monday. They say it's the biggest natural disaster in US history, bigger than Hurricane Camille in 1969 and has destroyed these cities for years. New Orleans is still under 20 feet of water and the entire city of 500,000 has been evacuated. Most residents evacuated prior to the storm, but many went to the Superdome which has lots of damage, unknown thousands are presumed missing and dead. There is talk that it will be at least a month to drain the city. This is going to take years and years to recover from. The gulf cities of Mississippi are equally devastated but I think the waters have receeded there. And most aggrevating, is our "fearless" leadership in the White House has taken their sweet old time in sending disaster relief, evacuation relief, there's no food, no clean water, no medication. It's all going very slow but somehow they can get troops to Iraq pretty darn quickly. There's a lot of anger in the country about the slow response. Gas prices are over $3 a gallon pretty much all over the country. This is enormous and who knows how long it will take before there's a city fo New Orleans again and the residents will be allowed back. It's tragic, horrific, sad, and unbelievable. This is our Tsunami. I sure hope She above has gotten over her water obsession for the year. And I spoke to Lyman who lives in Shreveport. They had no weather in that part of Louisiana whatsoever. It's all just beyond belief.

The latest on Scoop. He's at Cedars. He had surgery about 2 weeks ago to relieve pressure on his optic nerve (I think). He's scheduled to have surgery on Tuesday for something else, but in the meantime, he had another surgery last Thursday when they found a new tumor that they had to remove. I don't know how his spirits are but they're certainly doing everything they can, thank goodness. And on the Telethon yesterday, we all gathered on stage and taped a get well to Scoop. JL had some nice words to say to him, we all waved, blew kisses, etc. We're all thinking of him and I pray for him every day.

The Telethon seems to be in quite a bit of chaos which is a little scary 4 hours before air. Hour 1 is changing again. Hope we survive the next 24+ hours. I'm tired already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home