Sunday, February 25, 2007

Road to the Oscars

The show is tomorrow night. It's been a very long and actually very satisfying week. My job on this has been extremely complex. Without a doubt, the most technical I've ever worked on and most of it was figured out by me. Yes, I had help but I was the one who was given the responsibility of literally figuring out the gameplan for how we were setting up the EVS record room and who was covering and creating what elements in the show. It's been a huge puzzle that has actually worked out. Thank goodness.

What is an EVS machine you may ask. It's also referred to sometimes as an "Elvis". Think of it as a Tivo that can record 4 things simultaneously and has the ability to edit the video that's being recorded. That being said, with all of these machines running, we're running 26 channels. 16 channels recording, 10 channels playing back.

I actually feel good about what I've accomplished this week. At one point two days ago, Pam the producer said to me that next to her, I know the most about what she wants the show to be. That's a lot of information. We also had a conversation today about a certain element and she was talking to me like a producer (not a job I want) and getting my input on how to deal with this one video package. It was so amazing to think that she trusted me and my opinion so much. And many people have complimented me on what I've set up. I never am one to toot my own horn, EVER, but for the first time, I really feel like I've been an intregal part of the production process. The other producer and the tech manager have also said they can't imagine having done this show without me. Again, in a rare instance, I feel good about my job and work ability and what I'm capable of. I don't get this kind of opportunity often so I'm proud of myself that I've risen to my own and other's expectations.

Okay, enough about me. Here are some pictures (some of me) from the Red Carpet, which is really what you want to see. I took some more pictures tonight but I haven't dumped them on my computer yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

One of the statues going up to the Kodak Theater. The plastic will be off tomorrow.


The nominee wall. All the nominees will walk past and sign their name.

Me on the Red Carpet.

One of the boys fully unwrapped


Another one of me and THE man.

At the limo dropoff.


What the celebs see at the drop off. This is facing into the security tent.

This is MY world. This is the EVS room where we record all the elements for the pre-show. huge, brand new, state of the art high definition digital video truck. This truck does Monday Night Football during the season. Actually, a much nicer truck than the "big" show is using. I'm supervising these folks and helping coordinate all the items so that they roll in a straight line. Look at all those plasma monitors and all the things within each of them. I'm sitting pretty much where I took the photo.


Here's my monitor and what I look at. The top row is the 8 channels of output that are being played back from the EVS machines, all 14 cameras and the program in the lower right. Program is what you see on TV.


Good luck to everyone in your Oscars prediction pools. I will be of no help since I've only seen 4 nominated films. Then again, last year I won the pool having seen NONE.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:14 AM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Irene Palma said...

Julie, that's pretty cool. I've wondered what it is you do, and now I've got a better idea. Looks like fun, and lots of work. I always figured whatever it was you'd of course be good at it; toot away! You deserve it.

 
At 1:28 PM, February 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BE PROUD. You should! You are an accomplished phenomenal professional, outstanding scrapbooker and amazing friend! Thanks for sharing this post and the pictures! :) Thinking of you today! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home