Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sick kid

Yup, C's been home all week and will be tomorrow too. It all started last Friday when we went to lunch with two of her classmates. About halfway through lunch at The Commons, one of the girls (we'll call her Typhoid Mary) said to her Mom she wasn't feeling well so Mom went to get the stroller (for a 4 year old) so she could rest. And so Mary did rest but as a Mom, wouldn't you have taken your kid home especially when the older brother had been home for 3 days with a fever? Okay, parenting, it's a personal thing. Dissolve to Tot Shabbat at 6PM that night. Guess who drives in the parking lot but Mom and Mary. We look at her and say "Oh, I guess Mary is feeling better from this afternoon". Mom "Yeah, she insisted on coming." Again, as a semi-responsible Mom, shouldn't you say to your kid "You know, I think you're under the weather, your big brother is sick, I think we should just stay home and lay low." No! So we go to Tot Shabbat and little Typhoid Mary is in her stroller the entire 90 minutes, never got out once and finally at about 7:30P, Mom realizes that kid is warm with a fever. Lovely. Now, we can all set our watches to both C and her other friend getting sick.

Moving on to Sunday morning. I take C to the gym with me and in the time frame of one hour, she's feeling warm. Sure enough, she's coming down with whatever is going around. Monday, she's home from school. Tuesday, the fever is over but she's still got a nasty cold with cough and sniffles. Wednesday more of the same. Thursday, still got the cough. She's feeling fine but the cough is yucky enough that the adults won't be happy so we keep her home one more day. Come home from a doctor's appointment at 1:30P and C has a 101.6 fever. It's all coming back. Meanwhile, the other friend was out of school Monday thru Wednesday as well with a fever.

Oh, catch this. On Monday, the other kid and Mom were going to school as planned. When kid hugged Mom to say goodbye, she felt a little warm so Mom took her temp at school. It was 99.7 so, with everything going on, she decided to bring her DD home because well, it's going around. Meanwhile, Mom and kid run into Typhoid Mary's Mom on the way out and asked what's going on.

Mom: "Kid, has 99.7 temp, I'm taking her home."

Mary's Mom: "Well, it's under 100."

Can you believe that?? Did I miss something in the Mother's Handbook that said "Temperatures under 100 degrees are okay to go to school." I must've skipped that chapter. Meanwhile, Mary was out of school on Wednesday with an apparent nasty cough but was back in school today and you know she's not 100%. Yesterday (Wednesday) there were only THREE kids in C's class out of 9. Everyone else was out sick. Gail, their teacher and the 3 kids called everyone to say "Get Well" and "we miss you" which was very sweet.

Anywho, my kid will be home again tomorrow. Hopefully over the fever. She's got two birthday parties this weekend which are now in question. One of them is Mary's. I might just send her with instructions to sneeze on her piece of cake. The really frustrating thing is the fact that Mary's Mom is non-apologetic to the fact that her kid *might* have actually spread the crud around. Doesn't think it applies to her. Then again, if the temp is under 100...

Thanks for letting me vent. At least with being out of school for the week, we've avoided the lice that's going around.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, February 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jules--
Missed you and C in class on Wednesday! There were only 4 kids there(including Emily).... I am sorry C got sick-- i know who you are talking about!!! I was gonna email you yesterday pm after Kathy told me C is sick... Anywhoo, hope she feels better!
hugs,
Melissa :)

 
At 11:41 PM, February 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Miss C should absolutely go the parties this weekend and not only sneeze all over the cake but help open up the presents and make sure to cough on all of them. I hope she is feeling better real soon and that you and G don't catch it.

 
At 2:41 PM, February 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully Miss C is feeling a lot better today. I also totally skipped the chapter on the 100 degree fever cutoff.....
Kari

 
At 12:48 PM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Sunshine said...

Sorry C is sick....what a bummer. I'll be sending her something soon with your birthday present!
Buck up!
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home