Saturday, January 19, 2008

Pizza and French Fries

Greetings from Park City, UT where it is currently 16 degrees but it feels like 4 (source: weather.com) There's a storm coming in tonight which is supposed to snow flurries for the next 24-36 hours.

We're here and we're not here for Sundance. It's crazy with traffic right now so we're very grateful to be staying at my cousin's house. Okay, folks, this isn't just a little weekender getaway place. This is 4,000 SF, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, two stories, 2 living rooms, a ginormous kitchen kind of weekender. This house is beautiful and S was so generous to let us come stay here. We'll never be able to thank her enough for this. The house is about a 15 minute drive from the Park City ski resort (1 exit down the highway) and they've got annual parking so that's a bonus as well.

The weather has been very nice, perfect ski weather. It's been around 20 at the base of the mountain and about 10 at the top which sounds awful for a California girl but with the proper clothes, it's been quite fine. The hardest part for me has been breaking in my new ski boots which have really hurt my shins but I think we're on the upswing there as well. Thursday and Friday were empty on the mountain. Today, Saturday, was as busy as I've ever seen at a ski resort and G says it really wasn't that bad. Park City has 15 lifts so the main bottom one and the mid-mountain lifts are the busiest, but we found a less crowded way to get to the top this afternoon so we'll have to take advantage of that again tomorrow. Considering I haven't skied since 2002 before I was pregnant, I think I've done pretty well. I'm pretty much sticking to the green runs although I did do a blue yesterday. I just need to figure out how to improve. I'm not "getting better". I do fine and can manage my way down a blue run but I'm not improving and getting over a hump. I'll never make a black diamond at this rate. That's honestly not my goal but I would like to confidently ski the blue runs and I'm not close to that. I feel like I keep G back and he's bored because he's such a good skier. Next time we go somewhere I'm going to have to take a lesson to try and get over that hurdle.

Anyway, the real excitement has been C. She's been in ski school for three days and she's going to be passing me up soon. (another incentive to take a lesson so I can keep up with her). On Thursday, she did her morning session on the "magic carpet" where they show them how to walk in their ski boots, then walk around with one ski on so they get the feeling of gliding in the snow, and then both skis. They teach them to wedge in the shape of a pizza, which will help them slow down and stop. And then french fries, straight, and they'll go forward. By the afternoon of the first day, they had taken her up on a lift and she was skiing down the real mountain. Holy shit! And yes, she was doing it. Yesterday and today, they did the same. Up on the lift and work on stuff on the lower part of the mountain. We picked her up at 3:30P from her lesson (yesterday and today) so that we could ski with her. The difference in one day was astounding. Yesterday she was doing her "pizzas" and whenever we'd get ahead of her she'd yell "pizza" so that we'd stop. Today, she got off the lift and just cruised down. I don't think she stopped. She told us the proper etiquette to getting on and off the lift, when to raise the bar, how to pick up our skis. She's totally getting it and it's amazing.


Tomorrow is our last full day. We'll ski in the morning and C will go to ski school. Then we'll probably take her out after the lunch break so we can ski together. And we still haven't done any sledding yet, which is a high priority. With the huge amount of traffic (aka gridlock) trying to get away from the mountain at 4:30P when most of the lifts close, we want to leave around 3P so we can have time to sled.

It's been great so far and we're looking forward to one more fun day of skiing. Hopefully, it won't be snowing too much so it won't be too cold.

Our little snow bunny...

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, January 20, 2008, Blogger Lisa Spiegel said...

Tooooooooooo cute!

 
At 2:59 PM, January 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Such cute pictures! And, hey, CHA is soooo close I can feel it! :D Will you meet me up there? E-mail me so we can figure out times to play! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home