Whaddaya know?
Sometimes, I even impress myself.So I started my day at 4AM when my alarm went off. Thanks to the psychopath "Big Brother" hamster Parker, we had to come in two hours early. Even Starbucks wasn't open when I arrived at the studio at 5AM. It was another insane day at BB but we got through the show. Wacky Jen and insane Parker were evicted. Chelsia and James won HOH. It'll be another volatile and always interesting week in the BB house.
Here's where my "good for me" moment comes in. So at C's school tomorrow it's 50's spirit day. Poodle skirts, rolled up jeans, saddle shoes. This is my child who won't wear jeans and trying to explain what a poodle skirt is, forget it. I called a few friends to see if they had a poodle skirt in their costume stash but no luck. So I had to come up with something myself. I stopped at Joanns on my way home from BB to look for some material and something poodle. So I find two different pink flannels and I buy 2 different poodle patches. Now, what do I do with it? After much thought on the drive home, I realize I need to pull out my sewing machine. My handy dandy hand me down sewing machine from my quilter mom. I haven't used a sewing machine since I think 8th grade. How do I thread the darn thing? How do I get the bobbin to come up? At least I had thread and threaded bobbins so I didn't have to deal with that. A call to 1-800-MOM and I was ready to take the plunge.
I took two of C's skirts and eyeballed measured the material. Wrapped elastic around her waist to measure how much I'd need. I ended up doing a curtain rod loop across the top. Okay, first sewing machine success. Then I spent about 30 minutes trying to thread the elastic through above mentioned loop. Then did a bottom hem. Ooh, I'm getting the hang of this thing now. Then I stitched the elastic down at the two ends so that I wouldn't lose them (did that once and thought I'd lose the plot). Then lined up the two ends and did the full attach to make the skirt. Well, darn if it didn't look pretty good. All from eyeballing too. I ironed on the poodle patch and we're good to go. Okay, it's not a big flounsy, skirt with lots of folds and pleats but it'll do. Now, if C wears it tomorrow, I'll be golden.
Here's a picture of my handy work. I don't think I'll become a seamstress in my next life but I don't think I'm afraid to use my sewing machine anymore. I guess I could consider myself crafty after all. Considering I have been up since 4AM, and did the whole thing in about 2 hours (including some "American Idol" watching time), I'm pretty darn stoked, if I say so myself.





6 Comments:
very cute & creative!
You are GOOD! Very adorable, and I've been watching BB faithfully, just because of you!
Great job Julie! I can't sew at all so you're skill level is way above me! The dress came out really cute and I hope you get a picture of Carly wearing it! I'll be looking for that post! :P
Jean
Great job! Next time, felt, then you don't have to hem!
SO cute Juls! I'm sure she was the cutest one there! I was going to ditto Lisa - FELT!! I did one for Liz a few years back. I'll try and find a pic of it.
Lisa A.
I am impressed.
It looks so cute and I bet she had a blast wearing something that her mommy made for her.
Post a Comment
<< Home