Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My 400th post

I won't give a list of 400 things because that would take too long. I'm not sure I have 400 of many things in my life. I have 400 friends on Facebook. I have well over 400 books on the bookshelf. More than 400 scrapbook items on my floor (don't ask). I'm sure I have 400 things to do with not enough hours in the day.

I feel like I have 400 pictures to post so let's get today's photo journal started. C is now a 1st grader. Holy shit, how did that happen? She had her "step up" ceremony last Thursday. That's when each grade officially gets the blessing from the Head of School that they've completed all the requirements of their grade and can "step up" to the next grade level. The kindergarten class performed their evergreen version of "It's a Small World" in about 9 languages - English, Hebrew, Spanish, French, Japanese, Russian, Yiddish, Afrikaans, and sign language. I'm probably forgetting one. The kids were so excited.

At one point, the Head of School Mrs. W. asked the kids what they loved best about kindergarten. C went up to the mic and said "Spending every day with my teacher." C had such an amazing teacher with Mrs. L. What an inspiring teacher. Full of enthusiasm, her love for art and creativity, she really managed to keep C so excited about school. At the moment, C says she wants to be a teacher when she grows up and that's 100% because of what an amazing person Mrs. L is. And she's become a good friend to me too which makes me happy to know that she'll always be in C's life. But I digress, the step up ceremony was very nice and even a little sad. There are a lot of changes happening at the school and a lot of our friends are leaving for various reasons so this was the last time, a lot of us will be together. I'm not worried about my close friends who are leaving, because they'll always be my close friends. But for some of the others who are moving on, it's sad for the kids who don't fully get the reasons why adults make these decisions.

Anyway, we have a 1st grader. It's crazy and amazing to watch every single day. C is so smart and clever. She's a tremendous reader, well above her age level. She likes math. She loves art. It's amazing to watch her change and grow every day. She's such a big girl. I'm such a proud, and very lucky, mom.

C and the wonderful Mrs. L.

The K class performing



Telling the school that the best part of kindergarten was her teacher



C and her 3rd grade buddy reader. They became good buds. You know, the one thing that's amazing about going to a Jewish day school is that the kids are taught values and just because you're the "big kid", it's still cool to friends with a "little kid". We've seen C's buddy reader from last year (when she was in 5th grade and C was in TK) several times this year. Her name is also C and each and every time, it's the coolest thing to see Big C come running to hug Little C. She wants to see her and see how she's doing. There's no "just a little kid that I have to put up with" attitude. That's something that the school teaches these kids. I felt the same when I see and hear C talk about her buddy reader from this year. There's a true bond and a real friendship on both sides and that's awesome.



And a little bonus picture. Last week, the school had "Shabbat Under the Stars". A last celebration at a local park to celebrate a great school year. It's always fun and here's Mrs. L having a little cuddle with M. They had a great time hanging out together.


Tomorrow's entry - soccer and M&H's 6th month birthday. Another holy shit. The girls are 6 months old.

1 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, June 23, 2009, Blogger Irene Palma said...

What great shots of C and her teacher! Yikes, your little family is growing up!

And: congrats on 400 posts!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home