Saturday, October 02, 2010

Another lucky day

No need to scold me for my poor neglected blog.  I've been beating myself up and since I'm so far off, I don't even know where to begin.  But I do have good news to report.  We got news today that Gary is officially cancer free!  That's AWESOME news!

He was diagnosed with leukemia in April and went through a total of 4 rounds of chemo.  One infusion (I'll probably get the course names wrong) and 3 others.  It was a brutal course of treatment but because of his age (he's 44) and he's young and strong, the doctors felt like he could handle it. So they blasted his body.  Besides the usual losing hair (which he looked just as good) side effects, he had problems with swelling of his legs/knees, fevers and headaches.  I'm sure he felt like he was never going to feel good again.  He came to So. Cal to visit in August and he looked great.  He had his final bone marrow test a few weeks ago and he came back with a clean bill of health!!  Woo-Hoo!  I have no idea what the "maintenance" plan is but it really doesn't matter.  He's healthy!!

Last Monday, the first annual Gary G. Cure for Leukemia Classic was held.  The net proceeds were going to help Gary with his medical expenses but the plan is that next year, all money will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (a cause that many of my friends run and raise money for as well).  The golf tourney was a HUGE success.  It was sold out.  G and S said they had a great time.  Had lots of great sponsors for each hole, lots of good raffle prizes, great dinner and all around great.  I'm hoping I can make the event next year but I'm glad it went off so well and more importantly, that Gary has such an amazing support system that so many people came out to play golf.  Even some of his high school buddies from Chicago came out.  That's just awesome.

Got lots of pictures to post to update on the girls but right now, I dedicate this neglected blog post to the wonderful news that my BIL is healthy and cancer free!  I hope this is the last time I will have to post anything on this topic.

2 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, October 06, 2010, Blogger Lisa Spiegel said...

Such wonderful news!!!

 
At 11:53 AM, October 09, 2010, Blogger Kari said...

So very happy for your BIL and your whole family........what wonderful news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home