Saturday, May 22, 2010

Have I mentioned...

that Cancer sucks?  I haven't been able to find the proper words to describe what's been going on so, at this point, I'm going to just try.

Exactly one month ago, my BIL G was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML).  He had been feeling flu-ish and just yucky since about February.  The doctors thought it was viral, he was run down, it's flu season, etc.  He finally felt crappy enough and they did all sorts of blood work including a bone marrow test and it came back positive for AML.  He immediately went into the hospital and 24 hours later was starting chemo.  He did this hard core 24/7 for 7 days chemo. G went to visit him that day that chemo started.  After the chemo was done, he stayed in the hospital for two more weeks.  He had his bottom out period from the chemo (which sounded horrible with fever, chills, and all the crappiness you can imagine that goes with intense chemo) and then they watched to watch him since his immune system was at zero.  He finally, thankfully, went home the other day.  He had more blood tests and another bone marrow test at the end of this week.  When those results come back, that'll determine the next course of action.  There's definitely more chemo in the future but how much, for how long, etc will be determined by his blood counts when that comes back.  I know he's going to be fine but it's going to be a long haul to get there.  He's young, he's strong and this is curable but it's just so damn scary and unnecessary.  It makes me angry.  I know it's a small pittance but I'm proud that I've supported a few of my friends who over the last few years have run marathons to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  I know they'll continue to run and raise money until a cure is found and they'll be running in honor of G.

As if that wasn't big enough news, one of my closest friends D was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer.  Okay, if you're going to get a cancer, this is a "good" one to get.  Completely curable, thank G-d but sucks none the less.  My friend E had it a few years ago and she's perfectly healthy now, thank goodness.  D went to the Dr. and they discovered a nodule on her thyroid.  After testing, it was confirmed cancer which is what was expected. She's going to have surgery on June 1st and then sometime, probably in September, she'll have to do an iodine treatment.  She takes iodine and then has to be isolated for 5 days.  That's going to be really tough since she's got 3 kids 7 and under.  It's inconvenient to say the least but in the end, it's all going to be good.

So it's been a really sucky month dealing with two people I'm very close to and what they're facing.  On top of this, my FIL has not been well and has been in and out of the hospital again.  I sure hope 2011 is a better health year and there's still 7 months to go in 2010.

One positive cancer thing to share though.  I participated in the Revlon Walk for Women.  I was part of Team Wings of Courage that my BFF M put together.  After her breast cancer surgery two years ago and her successful recovery, she put together a team which I was thrilled to be a part of.  There were about 25 of us walking including 5 women who were cancer survivors.  Of course, we were walking with about 40,000 other people and it was inspiring beyond words.  It's amazing to walk with that many people from every different walk of life, every color, religion, economic status and know that every single person has been effected by cancer, mostly breast cancer.  That was very powerful and inspiring.  It was a 5K walk which was easy, and a beautiful day.  I personally raised over $1350 which I'm very proud of.  I've never done anything like this or hit up my friends for donations (although many have asked me and I've donated to everyone) so I was thrilled that so many of my friends supported me and this great cause.  Our team raised a total of $4355 which considering we did it all in about 3 weeks is pretty good.  I look forward to participating again next year and raising more money.  It was a great day.  Here are some pictures from the Revlon Walk.

Here's Team Wings of Courage



Here's M, our fearless leader



Here's M and her family including my perfect Godson.  I love you guys so much!


Team Wings of Courage at Mile 2



Me at the finish line



Me, M, L and R, two of our friends who were also walking.  Amazing that they found us amongst the masses


Me and my BFF!



So with all the crap that's been going on, doing the walk was a little something I could do to feel like I was doing something.  I pray for all those out there who I know are fighting their individual cancer.  We will all get through this and get through it together.

1 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, May 24, 2010, Blogger Irene Palma said...

Man, you said it: Cancer does suck! But what a nice tribute to your friends, and yet another example of your giant heart. Nicely done, Julie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home