Thursday, March 01, 2007

Theater Snob

I am a theater snob. I've been going to the theater since I was 7 years old. My first show was Neil Simon's "The Sunshine Boys". Okay, I guess it helps that I have connections because my uncle is a Broadway Producer (he's won 8 Tony Awards as producer and his shows have won countless more) so I've been exposed to it my whole life. But I do have a great appreciation for theater. There's nothing like it.

With that in mind, we're going to see "Wicked" tomorrow night. I saw it when it was here in LA in 2005 and I've been counting the minutes until I can see it again. The CD has been in my car for almost 2 years. It's the only thing I'll listen to when I'm not listening to my beloved XM radio. (Okay, save for the Disney Princess CD) C knows all the words to "Popular" and I am in no way burned out on one note of the music. I can't wait. I told a friend the other day how "Wicked" changed my life. I'm not sure exactly how it did, but it did. I've never been so obsessed with a musical, a story, the songs. Although I did come close when I saw "Jerome Robbins' Broadway" in 1989. I still know every word of that show by heart as well.

There are 4 shows that have moved me to tears, literally. I sat in my seat and bawled like a baby. In no particular order, here they are.

"Wicked". I still can't get through listening to the song "For Good" without tearing up. It's a beautiful song and I think of my best friend Caz whenever I hear it. She's in Australia but she's definitely changed my life for good.

"Rent". At the beginning of the second act, the song "Seasons of Love" is beautiful. I saw the original Broadway cast and the girl who hits that high note singing the gospel part gave me the chills. It's a perfect note. Listen to it on the Original Cast Album. Pure. I guess I have an Idina Menzel theme going here. Another show I know all the words to.

"Jerome Robbins' Broadway"
. This was a show that my uncle produced and it was kind of a review choregraphed by the great Jerome Robbins. He picked musical numbers from his favorite shows, recreated them so it was kind of a "greatest hits" production. Among the featured shows were "Fiddler on the Roof", "West Side Story", "On The Town", "The King and I" and "Peter Pan". Peter Pan brought tears of joy to my eyes. Each time I saw the show (which I did 5 times), on the line "Just think happy thoughts and UP you go", Peter Pan lifts up and flies. It's a magical moment and so exciting. It made me cry. BTW, Jason Alexander won a Tony for Lead Actor in a Musical before he was Jason Alexander of "Seinfeld".

"Our Town". The wonderful, perfect play by Thornton Wilder. I remember seeing a TV version starring Robby Benson when I was a kid and the whole thing just stuck with me. The last time I was in NY in 2002, it was playing on Broadway starring Paul Newman. I got a single ticket (G was working) and sat 3rd row center to see Paul Newman in my favorite play. Pretty much doesn't get better than this and this production didn't disappoint. The whole 3rd act is so beautifully written, and sad, and I just sat there crying.

I'm sure I've welled up at other shows (I'm missing a "Les Miserables" reference here when I saw Gary Morris sing "Bring Him Home" live) but these are the moments that have stuck with me. Sorry for the personal, boring post but I wanted to write this down for me. Thanks for indulging me. Then again, it doesn't take much for me to cry. I'm a sap at TV commercials too.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I totally LOVE this post! You have no idea how much I love theather too! And I too grew up with an uncle who is now a theater producer in Mexico in addition to being an actor. He has done some TV in Mexico as well as movies, but mainly his career has been in theater. He performed at the Mexico City performances of Phantom, Jesus Christ Super Star and many, many others. Most recently he got the lead role on Fiddler on the Roof. I totally love the music and lyrics from Wicked too! And yes, I totally cried at "Bring Him Home" by "Les Miserables" and still cry at Cats "memories" and "seasons of love" from Rent. You are talking my kind of language! Love this post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home