Saturday, May 26, 2007

Flashback

So I'm driving today listening to my beloved XM radio. Flipping stations and come upon one of the great one hit wonder tunes, "All I Need" by then "General Hospital" now "The Bold and Beautiful" star Jack Wagner. This lovely, cheesy song was a hit back in 1984. That was the peak of my GH watching days, Frisco Jones was really cute and well, it all worked at the time. It got me thinking about another one hit wonder "Take My Breath Away" sung by Rex Smith.

Dissolve to three hours later, back in the car and listening to XM channel 7, The 70's. Guess what song is on? Yup, "You Take My Breath Away" so I had to listen. I remember the silly TV movie that this came from. It was called "Sooner or Later" (I IMBD'd the title of that one) but I do remember that the movie had to do with him being cute and a teenage girl fell in love with him and if I recall correctly, they got together. Hello! Jailbait. This was in 1979 and I can't believe that this subject matter would float in today's TV world but you can enjoy this piece of memorabilia today on DVD. Then again, I don't think shows like "James at 15" or any of the Afterschool Specials would be produced today either. Too openly explicit and controversial for the conservative mindset of America these days. Isn't that weird that certain topics were dealt with (like teenagers losing their virginity) easier 10 and 20 years ago than now but I digress. Anyway, have you actually listened to the lyrics? There aren't any! It made me laugh. For your reading pleasure:

You
I don't know what to say
You take my breath away
You're every song I sing
You're the music that I play
And you take my breath away

You
You smile and it's okay
You take my breath away
Like water from a stream
On a sizzling summer day
You take my breath away
There are words for the magic of a sunrise
Only none of them will do for you.

And then You Take My Breath Away gets repeated about 17 times (it felt like 50). Ah, they don't write lyrics like that any more. Had to share.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, May 29, 2007, Blogger Irete's Retreat said...

I've totally had this same train of thought about that Rex Smith song!! AND "James at 15" was one of my favorite shows! Even though I was probably what, like 10? I was ahead of my time I guess.

 
At 1:40 AM, June 01, 2007, Blogger Megan R said...

So funny. I was listening to some 80's songs the other day and thinking the same thing. I wish I had thought to write a song in the 80's and becomes famous. You could basically write one verse and then just repeat the chorus!! My favourite...Your the best, out of Karate Kid!! I love singing it. all you sing is the same line over and over :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home