Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Inspirational Songs

And I'm not plugging the most recent Dove Awards...

So I was talking to my sister about last week’s “inspirational songs” theme on “American Idol” last week. These were the songs performed during “Idol Gives Back” shows. We mentioned that we liked Chris’ version of “Change the World” although I will admit that I’m actually partial to the Wynonna version over Eric Clapton. Still, it’s a beautiful song and he did ok with it. I thought Phil butchered the Garth Brooks song. When the judges went off on Lakisha singing the Fantasia song and that they could only hear Fantasia’s version, that’s how I felt about Phil’s version of “The Change”. I remember working on the American Music Awards and Garth performed this song with footage from the tragic Oklahoma City Bombings in the screen behind him. You could hear a pin drop. Nothing can compare to Garth’s emotion singing that song. I thought Phil sounded like he was doing a Harry Connick Jr. impression. I’m not a Phil fan. And Jordin was unbelievable singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone”. Of course, remember I have 17 years of Jerry Lewis singing that song in my head to compare to but she was unreal. THAT’S how that song is supposed to be sung. We didn’t care for Blake singing “Imagine” but I don’t like the song to begin with. Blasphemy, I realize but I’ve never been a huge John Lennon fan and I feel like that song is trotted out a little too often. Right up there with Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” and Bette Midler singing “Wind Beneath My Wings”, if I never heard any of these songs again, that would be ok. A little trivia for your fans of the Idoldome. Had Sanjaya not gotten the boot the previous wee, he was possibly going to sing “Wind Beneath My Wings”. See? God does exist.

Anyway, we were talking about what songs we’d sing if we had to perform on “Idol” songs that inspired us. Here are a few that I came up with that inspire and mean something to me. The links will take you to the lyrics if you’re remotely curious

“For Good” from “Wicked”. Do you think they’d let me sing a duet? It probably wouldn’t be a good choice for me to sing since I can’t sing it in my car (or hear it performed) without crying. The lyrics to that song mean so much to me.

“From a Distance”. Okay, hokey Bette Midler song from the early 90’s but the lyrics are still beautiful. Just as sugary as “Wind Beneath My Wings” for sure but still less likely to put you into a complete diabetic coma.

“The River”. This is one of my top 3 or 4 Garth Brooks tunes. Definitely a moving, life altering lyric. I love this song.

“Right Now” by Van Halen. If you’ve ever seen the video with all sorts of stats of things that are happening “right now”, it’s a great song with a great beat. Now this song would’ve been a cool song for someone to sing on “Idol”. Way different and out there from all the obvious power ballads, but I would’ve really liked to have seen that song performed. It’s definitely an inspiring “get off your butt and do something” song.

Those were the first songs that came to mind. What songs inspire you? Please share.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, May 06, 2007, Blogger Megan R said...

Oh don't you just love Idol! I am so glad Sanjaya got booted!! I don't think I could have beared listening to him singing Bette!!! I loved Melinda, she is my fave, and I think Jordan was fantastic too!! As for inspirational songs....hmmmmm I will have to think on that. Will let you know!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home