Movies
Would you believe that G and I not only went to one movie, but we went to see TWO MOVIES???!!! Yes, folks, we went to the movies yesterday and today and they weren't rated G animated films. Sit down, I'm telling you. Get your affairs in order. The apocalypse might be coming.
Yesterday, we went to see "The Simpsons Movie". I've pretty much always been a fan of the show. Was even lucky enough to go to the table read of the 200th episode (one of the good memories from a past relationship). Yes, the movie is sort of like an extended episode but that's actually a good thing. The story stays true to all the characters that the world has come to love over the pat 18 years. And it's been a long time since I've laughed out loud as much as I did in that hour and a half. I loved it and I'm glad we made the effort to go see it right away. Of course, it did continue the streak of only seeing animated films but this was at least, more adult oriented animated humor.
Now, just when you thought my cup had runneth over, we hired a babysitter (thanks M! - you rock!) and went to see "Hairspray". Of course, I had seen the original John Waters version back in the late 80's. And I saw the Broadway show about 5 years ago which was really terrific but man, I LOVED the movie. I definitely enjoyed the movie more than the show. The music is terrific. The performances are absolutely fantastic. And I feel a strange sense of "pride" because I grew up with the director Adam Shankman. I grew up with Adam. Went to elementary school through high school and summer camp with him. Back then, he had more talent in his left pinky than pretty much any person I've ever known. He was a dancer back then and did gymnastics across the school yard better than any of the girls. He could sing, dance, act etc. He was a dancer for a number of years and worked with my cousin who's a choreographer. Adam then was a choreographer before he became a director. He's done a bunch of known films but this is definitely the biggest. So of course I wanted to see this film to see how he did and I was so pleased at how fantastic the film is on every level. Anyway, I loved the film and highly recommend. You'll enjoy.This might be it for my movie reviews for 2007 so take 'em while you can.
Labels: Adam Shankman, Hairspray, The Simpsons





2 Comments:
So glad you got to watch some grown up movies! That Adam guy is a guest judge once in a while on So You Think You Can Dance (the best show in the world by the way) and he seems like a really nice guy! Now I think I'll have to see the movie! Oh, and thanks to you Lily's new favorite show is Hi-5. We TIVO it and dance around to the North South East West song. :)
Did Adam go to summer camp with us?? I don't remember that. And I haven't seen him guest judge on SYTYCD either. I guess I live in a bubble.
Post a Comment
<< Home