What a great day for America!!!
CHANGE HAS COME TO AMERICA!
That's the current headline and photo on cnn.com. I'm a devoted Democrat but this time it's different. This is so historic on so many levels, it's hard to fathom. G, who's also been a big Obama supporter, has said for months that it's difficult to believe that this country could elect a black man for President. (same argument regarding a woman when Hillary was in the thick of things) It's amazing, thrilling, historic and exciting so prove ourselves wrong. That America and Americans realize that after 8 years of elitist crap from the Bush administration, it was time to try something different is just unbelievable.
I remember working on the DNC in 2000 when it was here in LA. It's 4 long days of speeches with the "big" names on in the evening. That's the stuff that's shown on TV at night. But during the day, starting at 1PM (at least that year anyway) when there are like 400 people in Staples Center, the Democrats parade out all sorts of state senators, congressmen/women and give them 5 minutes to make a speech. It's a bunch of talking heads in the truest sense of the word. But we all clearly and distinctly remember Barack Obama speaking. He was a state senator at the time but he was mesmerizing. You just knew he was going to be something and clearly he was a future star for the Democratic Party. Who knew how big?
What was cool about watching the returns tonight was a text I got from a friend of mine in Louisiana. He works for the local NBC affiliate in Shreveport and we've been texting throughout the night because, among other things, his interest in the results on Prop 8 here in CA. (it's losing at the moment - people are so stupid) Anyway, about 7:52P local time, he texted me that "NBC is about to call the election. A change in coming." I said that CA hasn't closed yet, not for another few minutes. He sent back "NBC is about to give it to Obama with 284. They say he is taking CA. They are waiting for them to close to call it. They just made the announcement to all the affiliates." That was so awesome to kind of "know" right before it was official. By the time I texted back how awesome that was, it was 8PM and NBC crossed the hour saying that they're calling Obama the winner.
In other election news, it's looking like my friend Hilleri Merritt is winning her campaign to be elected LA County Superior Judge. I'm so excited for her. Well deserved and she's going to be a GREAT judge.
I've got a few other things to blog but none of it is as important or nearly as exciting as what's happened in America today. This is historic and I rarely say this, but I'm a very proud American today.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home