Friday, June 26, 2009

What a bizarre day

First, Ed McMahon passes away on Tuesday. And today Farrah Fawcett AND Michael Jackson. Two ultimate icons from my childhood are gone.

Ed had been sick for a long time. It's sort of been expected and we've all be wondering what's gonna happen on the Telethon this year because Ed was clearly too ill to be there for the show. And now that he's passed, the Telethon won't be the same. Between his mispronouncing most of the names of the sponsors (how does an announcer get away with that?) or spitting a tooth out of his mouth on the air (yes that happened too), he had such an iconic voice and that immediately identifiable. It won't be the same.

Farrah Fawcett - Sure there was the poster and the hair. I remember the movie "The Burning Bed" and watching "Charlie's Angels". I remember her strange interview with David Letterman. She was instantly recognizable and it's just a very sad way that she died, even though she fought hard until the very end.

Michael Jackson - this is the most bizarre thing in a very long time. Cardiac arrest at 50. He's always been very strange. I worked on a few shows with him. I had zero contact, and stayed very far away but he did perform on several "American Music Awards" that I worked on and I did one of the Motown specials back in the day. Immensely talented and equally strange. This is one of those "where were you when you found out" moments like 9/11, Challenger explosion and events like when JFK or Princess Diana died. G texted me earlier in the day that MJ was taken to the hospital in cardiac arrest. I didn't know he died until about 4:30P, checked Facebook and saw all these wall and status posts saying "Michael RIP". Clicked over to CNN and said "holy shit". I've never seen news coverage like this. I guess it's to be expected. MJ was one of the all time biggest selling artists in history and his death is completely out of left field.

I'm not being very eloquent about all of this but it's all certainly disconcerting. Everyone was in shock today. Words can't describe how strange today was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home