One extreme to another
From the joy of the good news about Gary, I go to the complete opposite when yesterday I learned of the news that my friend Elena passed away on Thursday evening. (10/7/10 at 7:30P). I met Elena at least 10 years ago at a DGA PAC event where we met then-Rep. Richard Gephardt (D-MO). It was probably another 8 years later when we connect at the DGA National Board level. She's a 2AD and our work paths don't cross being the "great divide" between film and tape but she totally remembered me. We served two terms together on the DGA National Board but it was last negotiations 3 years ago that we we really bonded. While sitting in the room waiting for the next round of talks, we'd all be sitting there on our computers. She and I would IM from across the room and talk about what was going on, scrapbooking, who in the room we thought was cute, kids, etc. It was good girly stuff.In July 2009, she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer all over her body. I'm pretty sure I blogged that at the time. It was shocking and horrible, obviously. She's had enough tragedy already in her life (she lost triplet boys who were born pre-mature in 2005). She and her husband somehow pulled themselves together and adopted a beautiful boy and gorgeous girl after that. Her daughter was only about 5 months old when she was diagnosed. But Elena fought on, strong and hard. She did all chemo and treatments. It was brutal but she pushed on. She has an amazing family and friends network cheering her on. Following her on Facebook and seeing her a couple of times at DGA functions, she was always there with a smile and talking positively of her fight. I know a few weeks ago she was going in for more scans but I thought the results were good. Clearly, something turned and I don't know the details.
Elena was such a smart, active and outspoken (in a good way) member of the DGA at all levels. She always understood the big picture and fought hard for those in her category. The 2AD's couldn't have picked a better representative. She was also a good friend to those of us on the AD/SM/PA side. She was one of the few people on "the other side" who understood what we did. And I'm honored to say she was also a good friend to me. At the last Biennial Convention (where the DGA Board is elected), when it came up to my position at the end of the day, she stood up and told the room why I should be the person elected. I was working that day and couldn't be at the convention but apparently, she said that I'm a good representative of my category, I'm smart and part of the youth and energy that we need on the Board. It's one thing for "my" people to stand up for me but when it comes from other categories, especially someone with her experience and clout, people listen. I was elected and I give her the credit.
We weren't the closest of friends but clearly we had a bonding that made our friendship special. I can't believe that she lost her battle in only 16 months. I have to say, besides my great sadness, I'm angry with G-d. I mean, hasn't she gone through a enough with her triplets? I truly believed that if anyone could beat the heinousness of cancer, it was Elena. G-d owed her and her husband that. Clearly He/She had other plans. Perhaps Elena's babies needed her in heaven. But what about her babies here? Her son will be 4 in December and her daughter is a little over 2. Yes, they've got Dad but they need their Mommy too. I know we'll never know, but right now I'm questioning G-d and his motives. I'm angry that this happened and I'm heartbroken.
The world is certainly a less joyous place without Elena. She was truly one of the good people on this planet. I hope she's running free, without pain, and giving her three beautiful boys all the love that she has to give. She's truly an angel.
Two shots for my memories. Look at this beautiful woman with her beautiful smile.
Love you forever, my friend. xoxo







3 Comments:
I'm so sorry, Juls.
I'm really sorry for your loss Juls!! Hugs from a far my friend!!
What a beautiful eloquent tribute to a friend. My heart goes out to you and her family.........hugs, kari
Post a Comment
<< Home