Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Busy Day

Well, we finally went back to the Dr. today. Mostly it was what we expected. At 41 years old, we can pretty much say all my eggs are bad. That's an awfully depressing thought but sadly, it seems to be the truth. Okay, maybe not 100% but until we find the *one* good one, well who knows what would freeze over. Actually, Dr. P explained something in terms that were so easy and Gregg finally "got" that biological clock ticking thing. Essentially, eggs start to decline at 35, and then at 37 1/2 they decline rapidly exponentially. Lovely. Sorry for anyone in that age range who's thinking about kids. It's not pretty, believe me. I'm living it first hand. So after much discussion, we're left with a few options. A - do nothing (not quite ready for that yet) B - donor egg or C - adopt. IVF isn't really an option again because we can pretty much count on the same outcome. I stim'd great but basically all 12 eggs were abnormal so not worth even trying. The best option is donor eggs which is something we have to think about and do a lot of research before going forward. The success rate is much higher than IVF at my age so that's a plus but it wouldn't be my egg. Something to think about. We'll start to look at egg donor sites and see what we come up with and how we feel and then make our decision from there. Oh yeah, and the financial considerations as well. It'll cost about the same which isn't a really pleasant thought either. Of course, adoption is also an option. So we've got a lot to figure out and digest before we move forward with anything. I think I'm still in shock that ALL my eggs are bad. Pathetic isn't it?

I know we're lucky, grateful and blessed that we have beautiful Carly. She's awesome in every way. I just never pictured my family as only 1 child. But maybe that's all that's meant to be. I'm not ready to give up on more kids just yet.

2 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Wendy, Fragrant Blade said...

HUGS Juls. I don't think its pathetic at all. I have a colleague from back in my bar association rah rah days who went the donor egg route - twice. Her second baby came at age 50. She seems very happy. She experienced all of it. pregnancy, labor/delivery, breastfeeding. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk about it, if you're ever interested and/or have questions.

Take care, my dear. I think about you all the time.

 
At 10:06 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

HUGS JULS! I haven't read your blog until today. I do think about you all the time and I do hope everything works out for the best!
-bucket

 

Post a Comment

<< Home