On the Air
I've got a few Vegas things to update on but it might take a few days. In the meantime, John Ondrasik just sang "100 Years" and had his daughter at the end say "We love you Augie" to one of the MDA patients. I lost it as did pretty much everyone else in the house.Anyway, one of the virtues of Judaism is "Tzedakah" (sounds similar to Sedaka as in Neil). It means charity. One of the things we've always taught C is that when we put money in our piggy bank, we split the coins into 3's - 2 for her piggy bank and 1 for tzedakah. Over the year, her tzedakah bank has gotten quite full. After some discussion about helping kids who aren't as lucky as we are with toys or need help with doctors, we suggested that we give our tzedakah money to Jerry "Lewlis" (as C calls him) to help Jerry's Kids. C was all for it. So we bought a jar, brought a bunch of my stuff from my scrapbooking stash and we decorated away. When all was done, the jar looked fantastic. C made all the artistic choices. I helped with some (and only some) of the glue. And on the top of the jar she put 3 red rhinestones because that's JL's favorite color and 3 blue rhinestone because that's her favorite color.





On Wednesday, C couldn't wait for Jerry to come into the office. As soon as he came in, she came running to me saying "Mommy! Where's the money jar? There's Jerry Lewlis!" We went up to him with C carrying the jar in her hand. JL asked her what she had and she said "Money!". He asked her what the money was for and that's when she got shy. So I had to explain that this was the money that she had saved all year for tzedakah and wanted to give it to Jerry Lewlis and his kids. He was very impressed and said that this was the first money had had gotten handed to him this year. There was $28.87 in the jar and C was very proud of herself.
(sorry for the picture of a picture but I don't have my scanner with me)





3 Comments:
very neat!
I love this!!! I was just thinking about starting an allowance for Lily, and we might use your tsdaka (sp?) idea! All the real religions of the world have valuable gems like this we can all benefit from! :) Thanks for sharing!
that's so sweet!!
Post a Comment
<< Home