Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Viva Las Vegas - Part 1

Well, C and I flew to Las Vegas on Thursday night so I can start work on the Telethon. I got all settled with trying to get through the mounds of paperwork that is the MDA Telethon. Normally, a regular show rundown (the running order of the show) is about 25 pages and that’s for a big 3 hour show like the Oscars or any of the awards shows. The rundown for the Telethon is 106 pages and 640 items. My Big Brother scripts average about 64 pages each week.

So I do my best to start my lists on Friday and figure out who’s performing, when, what they’re doing, do I have the lyrics, etc. etc. I’m the AD on all the performances on the Telethon which means that I’m the one who helps the director and the cameramen know what’s coming up next in any given performance. Okay, on a single singer like Jack Jones or Maureen McGovern (remember it’s a Telethon and there are the requisite regulars) it’s pretty easy. They’re singing, they’re singing, here’s an 8 bar sax solo, they’re singing. But when you have performances like The Universal Cheerleaders or a band like Suburban Legends there’s a lot more to it. With the cheerleaders, it’s being ahead of every dance move, every tumbling run, every 5 person basket toss so that the cameras can be there so that the whole choreography can get captured on TV. With a band like Suburban Legends (who are really awesome by the way), they’ve got a brass section with trombones, trumpets and saxes. I’ve got to know when they’re playing or doing little music blasts so that we can capture those little moments between the lyrics. You get the idea and I do that for 20 hours with 3-5 performances per hour.

But on my first day, I was able to get out for one night of real fun. With 4 of my friends in the script department we went to see “LOVE” at The Mirage.

This is the Cirque du Soliel show set to music by The Beatles. I cannot recommend this show enough. It was beyond spectacular. Different from other Cirque shows in that there was more dancing instead of all the specialty acts. It was more of a complete audio visual experience that is beyond belief. I’ve never seen so many people and objects flying through the air in my life. The projections on screens, fabric, floors and more was indescribable. Wonderful dancing and performances Amazing lighting. And all of it set to the amazing music of The Beatles. Do you get that I liked it? I can tell you that this is a show you can definitely see more than one time. There is SO much going on that I know I missed so much. I spoke with my friend Tina who saw it the next night who said the same thing. You’re looking and enjoying one thing and then move your eyes and wonder “where did that come from?” You can’t possibly see it all in one sitting. I can’t wait to see it again. So there you have it, my theatre review from Vegas. Next time you go to Vegas and you wonder what show you should see, go see “LOVE”. It’s worth every penny.

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, August 29, 2007, Blogger Terri said...

really worth every penny? darn, I had just crossed that one off my list because of the expense. it seems to be more expensive than any of the other cirque shows. Now I'm back to square one! I'll be going in mid Sept. Thanks for the review!

 
At 12:54 PM, August 29, 2007, Blogger Terri said...

In response to your comment on my blog: we are thinking of the Blue Man Group (hubs wish list); the Price is Right at Bally's (I don't think I'll get out to CA anytime soon so I thought this would be fun) and any one of the Cirque shows. I'd also like to see Mamma Mia but I don't think my husband would go for it! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home