Saturday, August 02, 2008

Local Excitement


Okay, not really something I want to remember but apparently there was a shooting in my neighborhood yesterday. Lovely.

I was heading home from work, driving up the main street when I get to the stop sign and, not only is the entire street blocked off with police officers, I see TV news trucks. We never have that kind of activity in my area. So I drive around thinking I'll get in from the other way and it's blocked off with police tape on that side too. I speak to one of the police officers explaining that I live on the side street right over there, I don't want to know what's going on but how long until I can get home. He says show your ID to the officer over there (at the police tape) and he'll let me in. So I drive over there and the officer explains to me that was a shooting at a house along Burbank Blvd. (not my street) and that it was a drug money "collection" situation obviously gone bad with one guy killed. In spite of what was reported on the 11PM news, it was not a random situation (according to the detective I was speaking to) and that the suspects went to that house specifically. Apparently this all happened at about 2:45P. By the time I got home around 7:45P, it was obviously all calm, although they were looking for any tossed weapons possibly in the alley but the other two guys were considered long gone. The detective, who was quite chatty, said his wife grew up in the neighborhood, he lives nearby and there's *never* any trouble in this area. After about 5 minutes of getting the lowdown, he let me through and I was glad to be home. And glad I have two big (although not the smartest) dogs who have a big bark. The bark is all I need.

And hey, these were the first two police officers I spoke to. (photo courtesy of the LA Times)

Anyway, it was the lead story on the 11P news on two out of the three networks and the 2nd story on the 3rd. Hey, big happenings in the 'hood. Hopefully, there won't be any more posts like this.

2 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, August 02, 2008, Blogger M, M and S said...

Am too hopeful that you won't have that kind of activity in your neighborhood either. A bit scary and surreal when it is that close to home.
M

 
At 10:53 PM, August 02, 2008, Blogger Suzanne said...

OMG Juls! How scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home