Tuesday, July 07, 2009

More Michael Jackson

I know it's been a week or so since last post but this is not the appropriate post to publish my backlog of photos that I need to share. Today was the Michael Jackson memorial service and G directed it. Words can't describe how proud of him I am. Yes, this was a job and a good opportunity to score some points with a powerful producer but it's that producer that asked G to do this historic event. Maybe it's because G's attitude is easy and he can go with with the flow with a production that would be in constant change, or maybe because he's a good director. It's probably a lot of both. Either way, I'm so proud that he was asked to do this event and what he, and the entire crew, accomplished today.

This was one of those events that's historic. MJ was a bigger than life celebrity and his musical genius has influenced every corner of the planet. Musically speaking, there's no one bigger and that's a huge loss for everyone. His weirdness, well, that won't be missed so much I don't think but I think people are remembering his musical impact at the moment. I'm not sure I'm overly emotional about this (although I'll get back after I've watched the whole memorial) but certainly I feel his loss professionally, even if he peaked musically years ago. Anyway, I was thinking this morning that this event was going to be seen all around the world, like the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics. G was listening to CNN as he was driving down to Staples Center this morning and they were reporting that MJ's appearance at the Super Bowl Halftime in the 90's was the single largest viewing audience for a single event in TV history. This was expected to surpass that. No pressure there.

Anyway, it was a big day. I still haven't seen the whole thing but what I've seen looked amazing. G did an amazing job and he got TONS of compliments on his Facebook page. Mine as well. G even got text messages and a phone call from Ryan Seacrest who's in Europe. Pretty darn cool. I hope this brings good things his way as a director. He deserves it beyond belief and that has nothing to do with that being good for "us" as a family. He's a great director and deserves the work. It's a proud day for our family.

Here are a few images I found online that I thought captured some of the highlights.








A very moving moment. I hope the media will leave these three kids alone. For all his eccentricacies (and there were many), MJ was clearly, fiercely protective of his kids. I hope the media will continue to respect that and let these kids grow up as best as possible without creating a circus around them.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, July 08, 2009, Blogger Irene Palma said...

Julie, I didn't get to watch yesterday because I was at work but I hope it's on YouTube so I can catch it later. Patrick was watching the news last night and I kept getting annoyed with the commentators, who got in the way of what was actually going on (saying goodbye). So glad for you and G and you're right to be proud! MJ was strange but without being in his shoes (loafers, usually, right? With the beaded socks), who knows what life was like for him. And those kids are beautiful. Thanks for posting the photos. I can't wait to watch.

 
At 9:09 AM, July 28, 2009, Blogger Just Me Again said...

What a proud moment, indeed Juls. Congrats to all of you! I haven't seen it yet, but I can't wait to watch it (thank goodness for Tivo) now I will watch it with more enthusiasm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home