Monday, April 09, 2007

1331

That's how many miles we drove over the weekend. Caz arrived on Thursday and we were both were stupid tired. Thanks to taxes and staying up too late to get them done. But anyway, we decided that we were, in fact, going to go to the Grand Canyon. So Friday, we rented a car and headed towards Phoenix. It took us 3 hours to get to stinking Cabazon (just outside Palm Springs). That should normally take just under 2 hours. LA traffic, grrr. We walked around the outlets, spent some money and then headed to Phoenix. We got to Phoenix at about 10PM. Stayed at my Aunt and Uncle's house which was really nice. It was great for Jan and Wendell to let us crash and to spend some time with both of them. They cracked us up and we had fun talking with them. Not to mention cute, adorable Lucy their Boston Terrier. How cute is this dog??


We got up bright and early on Saturday and started our drive. We drove to Sedona and got there about 10AM. We wandered around beautiful Sedona for a few hours. What an amazing place. It's so pretty there and the Red Rocks are simply stunning. You come around the bend on Highway 179 and there they are. You just go wow! We walked the main streets for awhile and went into the shops. Lots of cool, fun artsy things which is just my cup of tea. I bought myself a new backpack purse which I needed but mostly we took pictures. Oh, and ate an ice cream. The weather was fantastic, a perfect 80 degrees. I can't imagine what it would cost to live there but to have those amazing views in your backyard is worth every penny. Some shots from Sedona for your viewing pleasure.






We hit the road again about 12:30P and headed towards the Grand Canyon. We got there about 3P and
walked to the South Rim. Yes, we looked into going to the Skywalk but that's more on the West (Las Vegas) side and it costs $75 to take the walk. Maybe I'll do that at Telethon time. Anyway, we walked a mile or two along the South Rim and the Grand Canyon is just awesome. I know I use the word awesome but really the word is awe. It's indescribable. Huge, tons of colors, amazing how it was even created, even by nature. I had never been before, neither had Caz, so it was quite spectacular. It almost looked like a backdrop, painted against the sky. We took a bunch of pictures, walked around for about 2 hours and then started to head back to Phoenix. It took us about 3.5 hours to get back to Phoenix which wasn't bad at all. Somehow, I thought it was further away (so why did it take me 43 years to get there?) but worth all the driving.






Yesterday, we took Jan and Wendell out to breakfast as a small thank you for putting us up. Then headed back to LA. We made decent time. Stopped again at Cabazon and yes, spent more money. We had a great girls road trip. And yes, worth driving 1331 miles.

(apologies for any incoherant ramblings. Hanging with my Aussie girlfriend, lots of wine is getting consumed)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Irene Palma said...

Those are great photos, esp. the one of you! Glad you had a fun road trip, you deserve it. See you in two weeks!

 
At 9:34 PM, April 14, 2007, Blogger Sunshine said...

I just missed you! We were there with the boys on the 11th! I'll be posting my pics of it next week! OF ALL THE LUCK!!

 
At 12:18 PM, April 17, 2007, Blogger jeans said...

Wow! What awesome photos! What a fun road trip. I miss doing road trips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home