Saturday, April 12, 2008

Insane week

First of all, here's a shot of C with Robin Williams last week when we went to visit "Idol Gives Back". She's still beside herself with excitement and honestly, who can blame her?



"Idol Gives Back" went extremely well for G. I think I mentioned when we visited on Saturday that everyone was saying what a great job he did. When I went in to the office on Monday (I was filling in for him on regular "Idol" this week) the praisefest continued. People who weren't there said they heard how beautiful it looked, he was so calm and it was fun, how he "gets it", etc. Mostly, it looked fantastic which is really the whole point. I personally haven't seen the whole show yet but I did see a couple of performances and it did look gorgeous. I'm so proud of him. And I hope this brings some well deserved recognition and some other directing job opportunities.

My week on "Idol" was fun. It's a crazy show but fun. I think it's probably the biggest show that I've done. Maybe not the biggest in terms of logistics but certainly the biggest in terms of viewership. That's actually a little nerve wracking. I mean, I wanted to do a good job, of course, but there's also the thought that "oh shit, 30 million people are watching this and I am the only one who gets the show off the air on time". No pressure there. America doesn't know or care if the show is off the air on time but it is part of my job description so I figure I might as well try to get it right. I got the phone numbers in and the show off the air on time on Tuesday. All was right with the world.

Wednesday, I did my regular "Big Brother". You may notice that that is also a live 1-hour show that I do every week and get on and off the air on time with no problems. Absolutely true. But in the big scheme of things, there are about 24 million less watching BB than Idol. We can't go long on BB like they can on Idol and with, I think 1 or 2 exceptions, BB has always gone off on the exact second. The 1 or 2 exceptions in the 4 seasons that I've done the show, we've been off by :01 second.

Thursday at "Idol" was a little hairier. The boot off shows are notoriously crazy, lots of changes, not a lot of information. For awhile we thought there might not be a boot off because it's "Idol Gives Back" so why be cruel to a contestant. That was not to pass as Michael Johns was shockingly eliminated from the competition. We were cruising right along time wise, plenty of time to get off the air in a proper manner, and when I was counting down to put the credits in (a full one minute count back), the credits didn't go in at zero. I start screaming "Credits!". The director starts screaming "Credits" and they finally went in about 2 seconds late. I got off right as the copyright went up but darn it we were doing so well so I was annoyed we got off :01 second long. I know, I know, no big deal. But darn it, timing a show is a perfectionist art and I consider myself pretty good at it so it was annoying.

Now, I'm just tired and trying to catch up with life while still looking at a full calendar. Today was a DGA National Board meeting which thankfully was done at 12:30P. Tomorrow is C's 5th birthday party. Monday is C's birthday, a park playdate, flute rehearsal, etc. Work Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday is my flute concert which you're all invited to attend. I'll post details on Monday. Friday, I'm hoping to keep free and maybe we'll go to Disneyland. It's C's two week spring break. Saturday is Passover and the next week is just as nutty. Sleep is clearly an option.

Thursday is M's surgery. Please keep thinking good, happy, positive thoughts. My boobs have been sore lately which I think is sympathy pain. I know it's all going to be ok but it's still a stressful time. Her DH M had to leave the last two weeks working on "Big Brother" which is really disappointing to me. I loved seeing him every week, even when we were both running in different directions. But obviously, he needs to be home for the next few weeks after surgery. Luckily, there's only the two weeks left of this season and hopefully he'll be back for the summer run.

More posting tomorrow after the big birthday soiree.

4 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, April 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Gregg!! That is just fantastic. Your schedule sounds crazy. You must be exhausted!

Lisa A.

 
At 10:54 PM, April 14, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever slow down?

A big happy birthday to C! I hope she had a wonderful day! I cant believe she is 5! Crazy!

And seriously you should have rolled the credits as soon as they announced the elimination. I was so shocked and spent the next few minutes swearing at the television.

Im glad everything worked out for G !

 
At 10:38 AM, April 16, 2008, Blogger Melissa :) said...

I don't know how you do these weeks. Hopefully you will get a little rest tonight.
C is 5- Wow, where has time gone.

 
At 3:14 AM, April 18, 2008, Blogger Megan R said...

Just watched David cook sing Billy Jean!! I love David Archuletta and Carly, but man David Cook is A M A Z I N G!!! If you see him you can pass on that he has some fans here in NZ rooting him on!!
Happy belated to C. I can't wait to see some 2 cute photos of her!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home