Sunday, November 19, 2006

Terrible Threes

Whoever coined the phrase "Terrible Twos" didn't have a 3 year old. Remember the previous meltdown about not stopping at Best Buy? Well, we're 2 for 2 this weekend. Yesterday, complete hysterical, hissy fit when we got to Staples Center for the Kings game. C was exhausted before we left the house and didn't doze in the car so when we finally got there, she was screaming "I don't wanna go to the hockey game! I wanna go home!" So we said "Fine, we'll go home" followed by "I don't wanna go in my carseat". 30 minutes, and 1 period of hockey later, she decided she needed to go potty and the only way to do that was to go into the arena. "Okay, Daddy" with full whimper in her voice. We get in to the building as the 1st period buzzer rings but she was a happy, perky child the rest of the afternoon. Go figure.

Tonight, Bath Wars. "I don't wanna take a bath tonight." Well, with getting ready for school and work tomorrow, a morning bath ain't happening and she got off the hook on the bath last night so we're taking a bath. 15 minutes while I'm filling the tub hysteria ensues. 15 minutes trying to cajole her into the tub. Hysteria continues. I pick her up, even louder screaming. Threaten to take away all chocolate milk until Daddy comes home (which is Thursday afternoon), still screaming. Pick her up again and actually get her to stand in the tub. C turns and starts stomping and kicking tons of water out of the tub. I'm soaked, she's screaming (I'm alternating between trying to keep a straight face through the hystrionics and wanting to smack her) and she's definitely NOT getting any chocolate milk 'til Thursday. Finally, get her in the tub, after all the kicking and screaming. She's still crying although not hysterical. I hose her off as quickly as possible and say "It's time to get out" and she cries "I don't wanna get out." She's now been crying for about 35 minutes, her eyes are red, she's rubbing her eyes in sheer exhaustion and my little Aries baby is still digging her heels in. I get her out. We have the daily struggle to brush through the curly hair (now I understand why my mother cut off mine and my sister's hair when I was 10), a little bit more whinging, 2 stories and she crashed.

Can't wait for tomorrow's reminder that she's not having chocolate milk. That should be fun.

What do I get to look forward to with a 4 year old? Might as well brace for it now.

3 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, November 20, 2006, Blogger Sunshine said...

I agree completely.
Two sucked.
Three was from hell. Like, get the priest on speed dial for an exorcism, and we're not even Catholic.
The three of mine that have been there already, I swear to you, four is much better. They get a little more mature and the irrational tantrums subside for the most part (not completely, I don't want to disillusion you, haha)
Hang in there, yes, three is worse than TWO!!!

 
At 10:31 AM, November 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man I have so much to look forward to. I have had these days with Alex and they wear you out!! Hope all is calm now and its just a quick short phase. *HUGS*

 
At 10:31 PM, November 26, 2006, Blogger Irete's Retreat said...

Whatever you do, don't cut her hair. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home