Wednesday, December 06, 2006

AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Dog Show

Well, I survived my first dog show. First of all, just because it's a "dog show" don't be fooled. It was one of the most challenging shows I've ever done. 165 dogs competing and we don't know who they are until day of competition. That makes for a LOT of paperwork flying at me during the day. I won't bore anyone who doesn't want to hear but it's a lot of info coming at a very late time all the while the LIVE air time is quickly approaching. At the same time, it was one of the most fun shows I've ever done. First of all, the production company is awesome! It's been a long time since I've worked with such a great, nice, fun group of people. Across the board fabulous. Joe is my new favorite director. And well Cricket, the other Co-EP who I've know for about 15 years, was just so much fun to work with. It had also been way too long since I had worked with Marla, my BF and fabulous Production Supervisor. She put together a great script team so it all ran so smoothly. Awesome job Mar! Secondly, obviously, the dogs. They're all so stinkin' cute. Well most of them. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the purpose of a Toy Poodle but I digress. But seeing them all, with personality, fully coiffed was just plain fun.

This is the first show in years that I actually felt depressed the day after. Usually it's more like "how many hours 'til we're done?" but not this one. I actually felt like I had accomplished something, a challenge that I succeeded, with this show so I was sad on Monday. I guess I really like the people that I worked with and while I was really filling in for someone this year (who had a conflict with another show), I hope they liked me enough to hire me for future shows. I think Joe and I got along really well and everyone seemed very happy with me so hopefully that'll come through in the future. Hey, I don't get too many opportunities to be the Booth AD much less prove that I can do a good job so indulge me while I relish in the few and far between moments that I have.

Okay, done.

Now to show off some photos. For those of you that have seen "Best in Show", OMG, the world of dog shows is a weird and strange one. For those of you that haven't seen it, rent it immediately. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It was hilarious walking into the elevators at the hotel and always being with a dog. Let's start with the grooming. It's an endless line of primping, blowdryers and yes, hair spray, as far as the eye can see. The way they're set up, it's a total makeshift camp. Portable tables, Sterlite containers, hair products galore, all for dogs.




The Alaskan Malamute
Gotta love the Puli with the dreadlocks. Probably not so much fun for the groomers but fun to look at for me.


My personal favorite being the Old English Sheepdog sleeping while being groomed. I guess he's used to it.

Again, the purpose of the Toy Poodle is...?


The Breed Rings. Things you'd never know if you didn't work on a dog show. The breed rings are the "preliminary" competitions for every single breed. The winners of that breed go on to compete in the various groups on the "big" show and the 7 group winners are who compete for Best in Show. Okay, that's the pyramid grid. So I went to check out the breed rings on Sunday morning before I had to be in for a meeting. 72 dogs were competing that day in the Working, Terrier and Herding groups.

Here's the oh so beautiful Saint Bernard.


The Manchester Terrier competition.


The American Eskimo Dog

And now let's get to the winners. For Best in Show, the English Springer Spaniel named James was the top dog on Sunday night.


And the next best honor is the Best Bred by and the winner for that one was Houston the Golden Retriever. Sure, Goldens are one of the most popular and prettiest dogs out there. This particular dog is simply gorgeous. And has a really happy face, even if you can't tell in the official posed photo.


Should we be a little nervous that the addresses of the owners are listed on the AKC website? The BIS winner lives in Fairfax Station, VA. And the Golden lives in Oakley, CA. Addresses right there on the website. That's just weird to me but I guess if you live in dog breeder/owner/handler world, that's what it is.

Now time for my stupid fun. Besides the breed ring competitions, there's a TON of stuff to buy for all you pure bred dog snobs out there. Clothing for your canine, crates, shampoos, pillows, t-shirts for you and your beloved dog, and oh so much more. Since I have two mutts, there's not much for me to purchase but I did find this bit of bling to attach to my phone.


And while we were at it, our offices were in the back of the Long Beach Arena, home to the Long Beach Ice Dogs. So you know I had to take a photo in front of the locker room doors. Didn't find the Zamboni. Something to look forward to for next time.

Enough about doggies. Had to get all that out so you know where I've been for the past week.

4 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, December 07, 2006, Blogger Irete's Retreat said...

Woof.
Personally, I like the Great Pyranese and the Burmese Mountain dog.

 
At 10:57 PM, December 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved seeing all the pics.
It was like I was there myself.

 
At 12:58 PM, December 08, 2006, Blogger jeans said...

Teeheehee! There's some prof or staff here in the Bio Dept here at Stanford that has a couple dogs that look like that Puli dog. And it has the worst bark I've ever heard from a dog! I heard they are like some kind of herding dog. As for the toy poodle, I have no idea what it's purpose except maybe it's a hypo-allergenic dog? My sister in law has a cockapoo (cocker spaniel/poodle mix) and the poodle part is suppose to make the dog hypoallergenic.

 
At 7:53 AM, December 09, 2006, Blogger Sunshine said...

I would definitely have the dialogue from "Best in Show" running thru my brain if I was ever at a dog show!
Glad you had fun with it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home